The Edgar Snow Symposium is biennial forum of international scholars, civic, education, business and community leaders coming together to exchange ideas related to a specific U.S.-China related theme.
The Symposium also carries forward scholarly interest and interpretation of Edgar Snow’s life and body of work. The location alternates between Beijing and Kansas City. Past themes have included “An Historical Perspective of China Through the Medium of Film,” “The 50th Anniversary of Edgar Snow’s Red Star Over China,” “A Celebration of the Arts,” “Sino-American Relations” and “Journalism in China and the US.”
The 18th Edgar Snow Symposium, “80 Years of Exchange,” will be held in Kansas City, Missouri, on October 4-6, 2018, at the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza.
2018 Edgar Snow Symposium Program
Tuesday, October 2 – Arrival Day – Arrange transit from Kansas City Airport (MCI) to InterContinental Hotel for visiting delegates
Wednesday, October 3 – Welcome Day: Optional Pre-Symposium Activities
- 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. – Sightseeing Tour of Edgar Snow’s Kansas City. Includes lunch.
- 5:00-8:00 p.m. – Reception and Buffet Dinner for visiting delegates (InterContinental Hotel)
Thursday, October 4 – China-U.S. Day: Special Events to Welcome Visiting Delegates
- 9:30-11:15 a.m. – Opening Session: “Celebrating China-U.S. Friendship” (InterContinental Hotel)
- 12:00-1:30 p.m. – Lunch for Visiting Delegates and Invited Guests (Gates Bar-B-Q Restaurant)
- 2:00-3:15 p.m. – Welcome meeting for Chinese delegation in City Hall
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. – Edgar Snow Reading Room Tour (Miller-Nichols Library, UMKC)
- 6:00-8:30 p.m. – Private Dinner for Visiting Delegates and Invited Guests (Diastole Scholars’ Center)
Friday, October 5 – Edgar Snow Symposium: Exploring and Celebrating 80 Years of Exchange
- 9:00-10:30 a.m. – Global Economic Development Panel: “The Future of U.S.-China Trade and Global Economic Development” (InterContinental Hotel). Panelists will include Dr. Maria Adele Carrai, a fellow at the Princeton-Harvard China and the World Program and John Huang (Belt and Road Initiative, Burma operation).
- 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. – Journalism Panel: “Practicing Journalism in an Era of Globalization” (InterContinental Hotel). Panelists will include CBS Chief White House Correspondent Major Garrett.
- 12:30-1:45 p.m. Lunch for visiting delegates, invited guests and symposium registrants (InterContinental Hotel)
- 1:45-3:15 p.m. – International Relations Panel: “The Nuts and Bolts of U.S.-China Relations: Diplomacy, Education, Scholarship” (InterContinental Hotel). Panelists will include our keynote speaker, Ambassador Nicholas Platt, and Prof. Sheena Greitens (University of Missouri).
- 3:30-5:00 p.m. – Medical Panel: “East-West Collaboration in Medicine, from Research to Patient Care” (InterContinental Hotel). Panelists will include Dr. John Spertus (UMKC School of Medicine), Dr. Linheng Li (Stowers Institute for Medical Research), and Travis Spire Sweet (Missouri Acupuncture Services).
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. – Welcome Reception (InterContinental Hotel Ballroom)
- 7:00-9:30 p.m. – Edgar Snow Symposium Gala Banquet (InterContinental Hotel Ballroom)
- Keynote Lecture by Ambassador Nicholas Platt, author of China Boys: How U.S. Relations with the PRC Began and Grew: A Personal Memoir (2010)
Saturday, October 6 – International Business Conference and Edgar Snow Memorial Concert
- 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. – “The Future of U.S.-China Trade and International Investment” (InterContinental Hotel). Includes lunch and coffee breaks. Panelists will include X. Rick Niu (President and CEO, Starr Strategic Holdings), Darcy Howe (Managing Director, KCRise Fund), Virginia Harper Ho (University of Kansas School of Law) and Narbeli Galindo (Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City).
- 4:00-6:30 p.m. – Edgar Snow Memorial Concert, a special music and dance program presented by Kansas City Leyue Performing Arts and distinguished performers from China (Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts)
- 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Farewell Reception and Dinner for visiting delegates and invited guests (InterContinental Hotel)
Sunday, October 7 – Fine Arts Day: Optional Post-Symposium Activities
- 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. – Sightseeing Tour of Kansas City Open Spaces Art Festival. Includes lunch.
- 6:00-7:30 p.m. – Private Dinner for visiting delegates (InterContinental Hotel)
Monday, October 8 – Departure Day – Transit from hotel to Kansas City Airport (MCI) for visiting delegates and invited guests
Complete program details and registration information will be forthcoming soon.
Guest rooms are now available at the InterContinental Hotel. Visit the reservation website and click on “Book Now,” then enter your arrival and departure dates to reserve a room at special conference rates (including free breakfast). Guests may also call the reservation desk (toll free) at 866-856-9717 and mention the Edgar Snow Symposium to receive the special rates.