The Edgar Snow Symposium is biennial forum of international scholars, civic, education, business and community leaders coming together to exchange ideas related to a specific U.S.-China related theme.
The Symposium also carries forward scholarly interest and interpretation of Edgar Snow’s life and body of work. The location alternates between Beijing and Kansas City. Past themes have included “An Historical Perspective of China Through the Medium of Film,” “The 50th Anniversary of Edgar Snow’s Red Star Over China,” “A Celebration of the Arts,” “Sino-American Relations” and “Journalism in China and the US.”
The 18th Edgar Snow Symposium, “80 Years of Exchange,” will be held in Kansas City, Missouri, on October 4-6, 2018, at the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza.
2018 Program at a Glance:
Wednesday, October 3 – Welcome Day
- 5:00-8:00 p.m. – Private reception with buffet dinner for visiting delegates and invited guests (InterContinental Hotel)
Thursday, October 4 – China-U.S. Day
- 9:30-11:15 a.m. – Opening Session: “Celebrating China-U.S. Friendship” (InterContinental Hotel)
- 12:00-1:30 p.m. – Lunch for Visiting Delegates and Invited Guests at Gates Bar-B-Q Restaurant
- 2:00-3:00 p.m. – Welcome meeting for Chinese delegation in City Hall
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. – Edgar Snow Reading Room Tour, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- 6:00-8:30 p.m. – Private Dinner for Visiting Delegates and Invited Guests, Diastole Scholars’ Center
Friday, October 5 – Exploring and Celebrating 80 Years of Exchange
- 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. – International Business Conference: “What China’s Belt and Road Initiative Means to Your Business.” Program details and location to be announced. Includes tea breaks and lunch.
- 9:00-10:30 a.m. – Global Economic Development Panel: “The Future of U.S.-China Trade and Global Economic Development.” Presenters will include Dr. Maria Adele Carrai, a fellow at the Princeton-Harvard China and the World Program.
- 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. – Journalism Panel: “Practicing Journalism in an Era of Globalization”
- 12:30-1:30 p.m. Lunch
- 1:30-3:00 p.m. – International Exchange Panel: “The Nuts and Bolts of International Exchange: Diplomacy, Education, Scholarship.” Presenters will include our keynote speaker, Ambassador Nicholas Platt.
- 3:15-4:15 p.m. – Medical Panel #1: “Collaborative Research: Cancer and Cardiology”
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. – Medical Panel #2 : “East-West Collaboration on Integrative Medicine: A New Model for Healthcare”
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. – Welcome Reception (InterContinental Hotel Ballroom)
- 7:00-9:30 p.m. – Edgar Snow Symposium Gala Banquet (InterContinental Hotel Ballroom)
- Keynote Lecture by Ambassador Nicholas Platt, author of China Boys: How U.S. Relations with the PRC Began and Grew: A Personal Memoir (2010)
Saturday, October 6 – Fine and Performing Arts Day
- 9:00-11:15 a.m. – Sightseeing tour of Edgar Snow’s Kansas City and related sites for visiting delegates and invited guests
- 11:30-12:45 p.m. – Reception and Brunch Buffet for visiting delegates and invited guests (InterContinental Hotel)
- 1:00-2:30 p.m. – Gallery Tours for Visiting Delegates and Invited Guests (Nelson-Atkins Art Museum)
- 4:00-6:30 p.m. Performance at Kauffman Performing Arts Center: “Celebrating China through Music and Dance”
- 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Reception and Farewell Dinner for Visiting Delegates and Invited Guests (InterContinental Hotel)
Sunday, October 7 – Departure Day
- Transit from hotel to MCI airport for visiting delegates and invited guests
Complete program details and registration information will be forthcoming soon.